Today I thought it would be fun to round up a few of my favorite books for babies. If there was anything my parents instilled in us kids, it was a love for reading. They always said that they would buy us books any day over toys. We grew up reading biographies of great men and women, historical fiction and Bible books. I want George to love reading. The only thing I know that will foster that is to start reading to him now.
We often ask him at night what books he wants to read before bed and he will grab his favorites. So if you are a new mom or expecting, here are a few books I would have on your baby’s book shelf. It does help that they are fun to look at and read, after all you will know all of them by heart soon enough! I will also say, after working in a Montessori classroom, choosing 3 books and reading them over and over during a month long period is great for babies when they are learning words. I have been amazed when I started doing this with George how many words he has picked up by just being consistent.
1. Pat the Bunny – This is a timeless classic that I well remember growing up. Pat the Bunny was George’s first interactive book and he is still obsessed with it. The books as various sensory pages as well as interactive elements as well. I cannot recommend this one enough!
2. My Big Book of Lift and Learn: First 100 Words – George began to love the lift feature in books probably at a year, now he will sit for at least 20 minutes on the floor looking at this book. They have a lift tab for each word, so this is more than enough to keep your little one busy! It’s also a great book to learn the basic words like, ball, hat, dog and much more.
3. Llama Llama Red Pajama – I confess I did not have this book till my brother’s girlfriend gave it to George for Christmas. It is the cutest book and I love to read it to him each night before bed. I love the repetitive nature of the book. George is even trying to say llama now!
4. That’s not my Puppy – My sister introduced George to these Usborne board books for his birthday in October. This is a great sensory book and the basic words make it perfect for little ones to pick up on quickly. The Usborne books are very well made and perfect for little hands to handle and throw around! 🙂
5. On The Night You Were Born – 2 weeks after George was born, I picked this book up to read to him. I will blame it on hormones, but I cried like a baby. Seriously it still gets me every time. I LOVE this book. If there is any book that I will give to new mommy’s it is this one. I am so thankful a friend gave it to me at my shower.
I would love hear what your favorite books are in the comments below! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend.